Sunday, December 27, 2009

Travels in London - Days 13-15: Heading vaguely towards London.

Christmas was lovely. We went to the morning service at Inverness catherdral, then came back to the hostel to open presents. I got a bar of crispy chocolate from some friends of Lexi's, and Lexi gave me a small kit of space origami designs, which was awesome, but paled in comparison to the fact that she also bought me a FREAKING ROBOT!!!!!!

It's about the size of my thumb and it can't do more than walk around avoiding obstacles and following things, but it's mine, it's a robot, and it's my robot. Therefore it is awesome.

I got Lexi a copy of Maus (amazing graphic novel about the holocaust) and Nation (the first non-discworld novel from Terry Pratchett in a very long time). She was happy, so yay.

That evening we decided to treat ourselves and went out to the Royal Highland Hotel restaurant for a fancy dinner. So fancy, in fact, that the garlic bread did not taste or resemble garlic bread in any way shape or form. Now that IS fancy. For dinner I had venison, which as Lexi kindly pointed out meant I was basically eating Rudolph, and thanks to an unfortunately placed cherry tomato, it looked like they had given me the nose as well.

The next day was rather exciting for me, as we were heading out for a tour of Loch Ness. Loch Ness was two things. Amazing, and cold. Fortunately the boat had a heated indoor area so after taking photos of the mist rolling across the waters and ruined castles, we hid inside for the remainder of the trip. After going crazy in the gift shop, we headed back to the hostel, where I spent an hour or so updating photos and carefully drawing the Loch Ness Monster on one of them using MS paint for that authentic look.

Today we left early and trudged away through a strengthening snow storm to the train station for our early train to Edinburgh. We pushed on and made it on the train just in time to be told that the train had been cancelled and that we had to get off.

Over a few cups of tea we found out that there had been problems with the Edinburgh line overnight and all trains direct to Edinburgh had been cancelled. Fortunately we discovered that our tickets were good for going the long way round to Aberdeen so at 12:30 we hopped on the train and headed off. On the whole it wasn't that bad that the train had been cancelled, as it was packed to the brim when we had got on, and the Aberdeen train by contract was dead quiet so got to luxuriate in our first class seats and enjoy the view, the leg room, and the complimentary coffee. Life is good.

Then I decided to update my blog, so I opened my laptop, connected to the internet, and started typing. After some typing I had finished my blog, so I decided to end it abru-

No comments:

Post a Comment