Saturday, December 12, 2009

Everybody deserves a chance to Fly

As I write this I'm sitting in a a quaint little Thai cafe at Bangkok international airport (those who think Bangkok sounds a bit rude can go Phuket instead, but that's probably just as bad) eating authentic Thai cuisine, which in this case is chicken and chips. Those not already outraged at my culinary blasphemy should consider that before coming to this cafe I enjoyed a coffee at Starbucks.

The first leg of the journey to the UK is over, a paltry 9 hour flight (the final flight is a mere 13 hours. eep.), which wasn't too bad to manage as I used to fly to Darwin a lot back in the day, and so a 9 hour flight isn't a huge jump over a 7 hour flight. (It's 3am as far as my brain is concerned, though it's a balmy 11pm in Bangkok, so I apologise for stating the obvious more than usual).

Overall I rather enjoyed my flight. I had the front row in economy which did worry me simply because I thought I would have to share a TV which for my nonconfrontational self basically meant I would not be using the TV for the duration. As it happened though I had the entire row to myself (though somebody stole one of the seats later on) and in any case there were personal tv screens tucked under the seat anyway, so it ended up being pretty much the best seat I could get, cause I had loads of leg room (though the flight staff did keep tripping over my feet. Oops). The only drawback was that there was no seat in front of me to tuck my bag under, so my DS, my kindle and my ipod were all safely tucked away for the duration, leaving movies as my sole form of entertainment.

Movies I watched:

Ed Wood by Tim Burton. Rather amusing biopic of "the worst film maker of all time", meaning we spend most of our time cheering on a bumbling fool, but that's nothing new (I cheer myself on all the time). Worth it for seeing Johnny Depp not play a pirate.

Moon by... someone. Strange horror film that keeps threatening to rip off 2001 but always escaping at the last moment. Sam Rockwell actually acts well for one. Isolationist horror drama with two people in space. Sam Rockwell plays both of them. And Kevin Spacey plays an emoticon (I am not kidding). Best movie of the 3 that I watched.

Public Enemies by... someone else. Johnny Depp is a gangster. He robs banks. Yet another noble gangster movie about the harshness of life and the strong arm of the law, but the cast was good. Not sure what I thought about the ending, mainly because I didn't see the ending.

Also, the food on international flights? Actually pretty damn good. Dinner 1 (we had 2 dinners, leaving me feeling rather like a hobbit) was seafood pasta, and Dinner 2 was chicken and noodles. Both were great, and cheesecake for dessert.

Also, on the map of australia on the tv screen, all the big town were shown as we fly near them. Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Geelong, Moe... wait, what?

There is a small town south east of Melbourne called Moe. I've never heard of it before but evidently it's important enough to have on a map. So whenever I looked at the map, it kindly let me know how far away I was from Moe.

Landed in one piece, and here we are!

Anyway, must be off and go be parnaoid and get to boarding early. Another blog once I get to the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment