Monday, May 3, 2010

Movie Review Smorgasbord Round-up Extravaganza - The Complete Collection Part 2: Up.

I am a self confessed pixar fan. I don't mean I'm a computer generated electrical appliance, I mean I'm an absolute Pixar nut. I don't mean I'm a digitally animated seed found in some plants, I mean I'm a total Pixar aficionado.

I don't mean I'm a rendered... forget it. I love Pixar films.

Avoiding them for many a year because of a self conceived notion that they were kiddy films (I was 15), I eventually saw the first Toy Story when on holidays with the Steps in Perth. And you know what? It was a kiddy film.

And it was awesome.

Pixar films hold a certain quality that I hold in very high regard, the kind of thing my parents say is in Play School (excep they're wrong. Play School sucks), but more appropriately you might find in the early series of the Simpsons. A product that for outward appearances appears to be aimed towards children, but carries a weight and depth that I as an adult find very appealing. Above all Pixar is about telling a good story, and what really else is there for a film to do? (Shut up Arthouse cinema.)

Their latest film to be released was Up, released in May around the world except for Australia where for some unfathomable reason (*cough*schoolholidays*cough*) we down in the land of kangaroos had to wait until September for our Pixary goodness. Ahem.

Up is a little different from most recent Pixar films because instead of being about Fish, or Monsters, or Cars, or Superheroes, Up is placed firmly in reality, assuming in your reality you allow for a fairly relaxed grasp of phsyics and the properties of helium.

It's also the most adult Pixar film yet, while still remaining oddly childish. I don't mean adult in the sex and violence way, although the film actually does deal indirectly with both. More that it covers some very heavy topics in a refreshingly mature and gentle way.

The opening of the film covers about 60 years in a very short space of time. I don't do plot spoilers, but I will say I'm a grown man and it makes me cry everytime I see it. It is an exceptionally well done opening, even if it does put you in far too a serious frame of mind for the relatively light hearted remainder of the movie.

The film's characters are an eclectic lot, ranging from the extremely silly to the quite thoughtful. In particuliar the boy scout Russel has a rather heavy back story that is all the more moving for the fact that it doesn't beat you over the head with it, and Carl is a walking embodiment of regret for most of the film.

With plenty of slapstick thrown in for good measure.

The ending of the film is extremely light hearted. Some would argue TOO light hearted but I for one enjoyed it. It was an adventure film in the style we no longer see, think the serials of the 30s and 40s, comparisons with Indiana Jones are not out of place, just replace Indiana Jones with a crochety old man (But better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skill), the Nazis with talking dogs, and the ark of the covenant with a bright colourful bird that likes chocolate.

No, really!

Rating 4 out of 5. Another film review coming Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review Sam. Don't focus so much on what other people might think, it's your review.
    Comment on the cinematics?

    LOL @ Toy Story: tots agree, also agree with Arthouse cinema and Crystal skull, possibly the worst movie of all time bar one bar fight scene

    ReplyDelete