Sunday, May 9, 2010

Clothes maketh the man. My parents probably had something to do with it too, but I try not to think about that.

I've been meaning to do some clothes shopping for a while, last clothes I bought were a couple of jumpers waaaay back in june or so of last year. I've also become increasingly despondant with my 'look' as it were. I'm not a huge fashion person (quite the opposite) but I've always believed in at least being neat and well presented. My wardrobe also has some notable gaps in it, my choices really boil down to jeans and a jumper, or a suit. Some sort of middle option would be helpful in some situations. This, coupled with some outside factors (and the fact that I picked up an AWESOME bowler hat in Camden Town Market on my holiday and have absolutely nothing to wear it with that won't also give me heatstroke) meant that today I went shopping.

I took with me what I felt was a generous amount of funds to put towards updating my wardrobe, and so found it a little disheartening when I stepped into the first store and the first item of clothing I saw cost more than my entire budget. This continued throughout the entire floor, and more worrying still was the fact that the store seemed to follow my wardrobe in it's lack of options. The choices appeared to be to a) Wear jeans and a jumper for an affordable price, b) Wear a suit at an also strangely affordable price, or c) Pay $700 for the privelage of not wearing either jeans, jumpers, or shirts. Blow this for a lark, I said (or words to that affect) and left.

The next shop's menswear section (once I found it, it was cunningly hidden behind the fragrance section, which was in itself cunning designed to look like it had no exits, perhaps in the hope that this, combined with the dizzying nasuea produced by all the various scents, would encourage you to a) never leave and b) buy something) started in the same worrying tone. Again my options appeared to be jeans or suit pants, neither of which was what I was hoping for. I moved further into the store to the disappointment of the 4 overly helpful store clerks who seemed to be following me around (Am I the only one who likes to shop in privacy without people staring at my soon to be pants?) and discovered that the suits are obviously a test to ward off nonbelievers and the unworthy, because tucked neatly towards the back of the shop was exactly what I was looking for.

So I went to town. Have enough clothes to last me through a full week, but even at the affordable prices I still have more I want to buy (mainly on the jumpers, vests and gloves side of things), but that will have to be for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment