Monday, October 3, 2011

Best Laid Blogs

"The best laid plans of mice and men" is an expression that has always puzzled me. Mice, as far as I'm aware, are not known for their planning and strategic outlook on life, nor are they known for their collaborations with humans. in fact, their interactions could be almost exclusively limited to "I am your pet, love me, love me." and "Ha ha, I'm in your wall, eating your plasters. Oh wow, that piece of cheese on the spring loaded trap looks mighty tasty..."

But, like an inevitable steel bar hurtling down upon a rodent skull, real life has come crashing down on attempts to ressurect this blog.

Allow me to elaborate. About the blog, not the mouse.

About six weeks ago I decided it was high time to start writing blog entries again as it had been almost a year since the last update, due largely to a healthy dose of other projects and procrastination. This tied in rather nicely with a newly begun scheme of mine to go to the cinemas at least once a week, as it allowed me to return to the reviews I had been doing up until September last year.

This began well enough, a movie and a blog both occurred, and I was all set to repeat this the following Friday with another movie. But at the last moment (and I mean, LITERALLY at the last moment), the world intervened. Which is my elaborate way of saying we got robbed.

I was in the act of walking into the cinema, holding a choc top and a freshly torn ticket stub, and took my phone out to turn it off when I noticed I had a missed call from my mother. Ringing her back I discovered that our househad been broken into and by initial appearances, my room had been pretty much cleaned out.

Suddenly I didn't really feel much like watching a film. So I ate my choc top (hey, a choc top's a choc top), went home and assessed the damage. As it happens it could have been worse. They had gotten in by breaking a lock on a window, and NOT by going through the front door, meaning I was not a horrible person and had not in fact left it open by mistake. (pretty impossible in any case as I was not the last person to leave the house, but hey). Most of my room was untouched, but I did lose my television and my laptop.

Although I did end up seeing the film the week after, this all left me in rather an off colour mood for a good week or so, and I found myself uninspired to write, so the blog remained untouched. I did have something to look forward to however, as my holiday to Perth to see my father was rapidly approaching, and I was looking forward to some rest and family time. What's more, I could use the peace and quiet to catch up on the blog entries, as my brother had kindly loaned me his laptop for the duration.

Which couldn't connect to the internet.

Nonetheless it was an excellent holiday away, full of family, relaxation, and far too much coffee (the withdrawal of which I am currently suffering through as I write). I am now back in Melbourne, and getting stuck into various projects that I'm looking forward to completing over the next few months. One of those is this blog. If only I had time to write an entry.

Oh wait.

PS. Barring more real life happening, expect a film review soon.

2 comments:

  1. Or indeed, ressurect your spelling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Sam. Your computer was no doubt too freaking huge to steal...?

    ReplyDelete